FMA Reflection Group on the Future of the European Union
The European Parliament Former Members’ Association (FMA) welcomes the development of the Conference on the Future of Europe. Already more than 8 000 thousand ideas have been shared, almost 31000 thousand citizens have find their way to the platform and were able to participate to close to 3 000 events. Between the 17th and the 19th of September the Citizien’s Panel was able to meet for the second time and start working in specific working groups to develop ideas.
Given the unique expertise and experience of former European parliamentarians, who maintain direct link with constituencies and civil society and are still actively involved in political, academic, and intellectual responsibilities, the FMA has decided to contribute to the Conference on the Future of Europe. A Reflection Group on the Future of the European Union composed of a number of prestigious FMA members who have greatly contributed to the development of the European project, has been established to foster debate on the challenges the EU is facing. The Group is chaired by the FMA President and Former President of the European Parliament, Hans-Gert Pöttering:
- Hans-Gert PÖTTERING, President of the FMA and former President of the European Parliament (Chair)
- Enrique BARON CRESPO, former President of the European Parliament and of the FMA (Spain, S&D, 1986- 2009)
- Elmar BROK, former MEP (Germany, EPP, 1980-2019)
- Pat COX, former President of the European Parliament and of the FMA (Ireland, ALDE, 1989-2004)
- Monica FRASSONI, former MEP (Italy, Green, 1999-2009)
- Genowefa GRABOWSKA, former MEP (Poland, SOC, 2004-2009)
- Zita GURMAI, former MEP (Hungary, S&D, 2004-2014)
- Kaja KALLAS, former MEP (Estonia, ALDE, 2014-2018)
- Alain LAMASSOURE, former MEP (France, EPP, 1989-1993/1999-2019)
Former Members of the European Parliament considers it their task to contribute to the Conference on the Future of Europe. The FMA Reflexion Group aims at discussing about the big challenges that the EU will face in future and promote an open debate. On October 12 the Reflection Group will meet again for a special exchange with representatives of political groups of the European Parliament as well as invited Co-Chairs of the Executive Committee of the Conference on the Future of Europe. On this occasion, the Reflection Group will promote an open exchange of views to finalise its contribution to the Conference. The discussions will take place in the European Parliament in Brussels.